mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

First days in Samokov...(w/ pictures)

Like the first week in Bulgaria, my first week at site has been challenging. Sorry for the lack of updates, hope this will cover most of it.

Week and a half in Review:

Wednesday…
This was our ‘graduation’ day from training. Up to that point we were Peace Corps Trainee’s (PCT’s) now we are official Peace Corps Volunteer’s (PCV’s) with all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities that go with the title. The oath that we took included the line: “I will protect the Constitution of the Untied States of America against all enemies foreign and domestic.” After spending three months on foreign soil, just hearing those words was enough to send shivers up my back.


After the ceremony, we headed to a reception. It was painful. Those in attendance included our host families, senior officials from a few nations, our counterparts (the person we will work with), and the newly minted PCV’s. It was too much, we were moving away, again, and all I wanted to do was spend those last minutes with my friends. I decided to leave early.


From there, I headed to my new home, Samokov. The ride was particularly stunning because all the trees in the mountains were changing. It reminded me of an Indiana fall in a massive scale. I got to my apartment, unloaded my bags from the car, and my counterpart left.

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday…
I like to call this my days of solitary confinement. My counterpart was working hard on getting the old mayor election and, to be honest, just did not have the time for me. That was just the circumstance of poor timing. The problem was I knew no one else. I have no TV. I had no food and minimal dishes. Along with basic practicalities, the weight of what I am doing really had time to settle in. It was bad, really bad, but it is over. It was a true trial by fire and, since I am still here, I guess I passed.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday…
Here, I started to get into a groove. I had work everyday, which was great. It gave me something to do and I started meeting people. For the most part, I followed the mayor elections. When you think that Democracy is only thirteen years old here, it was an amazing opportunity. Because the Peace Corps has a policy that Volunteers do not get involved with politics, I was able to really just sit back and watch the process. The hardest part of this is that I speak absolutely no English. Everything is conducted in Bulgarian. The silver lining is that my language is going to be great, assuming I make it.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday…
Over the weekend, I headed to Sofia. When thinking about it, I felt kind of bad about leaving Samokov so soon. But, I did not know how much I needed some time with friends until I got there. We were able to swap stories, joke around, and generally recharge for our second week. It was much needed.

Monday…
This was probably the sadist day since I have been here. We found out the Mayor did not get reelected. So, I sat with about 200 people while they talked about what they are going to do now. When the Mayor changes they rehire an entire new staff. It is especially tough when unemployment is over twenty percent. This group will include my counterpart. So, as of now, I have no job again. Just when things were settling in a routine, it is all up in the air again. I once said I wanted to join the Peace Corps so I would not be board, but this is borderline ridiculous.

Overall, I really am happy. Most days I still randomly smile at the fact that I am in Bulgaria. I wanted a challenge and now I have one. Hope life in the States is going well.

~~ Mark

PS: Good news, my brother, Jim, had his first baby a couple weeks ago. All went well and her name is Emma Ann Jackson.

[Email to a Friend:]