mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Thursday, September 11, 2003

No means Yes.

So, before I came I had read that people in Bulgaria shake their head ‘no’ when they are saying da (yes). It is true. It is just one of many things that really throw me for a loop over here. For example, when you get brave and try to use your Bulgarian to order food here is what happens. You look at the menu much longer than is normal. This is for two reasons, one is that it is in Bulgarian and you have to decode it and the other is that you have to construct what you are going to say to the waitress. Finally you recite the lines you have been silently practicing and the waitress shakes her head. Enter panic, stage left. Is she saying they do not have it? Did I say something crazy like, ‘I enjoy eating rocks and toenails.’? Oh no folks, she was simply agreeing with you. If you want to know how much you rely on body language, I have a take home assignment. Try and go an entire conversation shaking your head yes and do not tell the other person. It is like the feeling you get when you try to rub your stomach and pat your head. Plus, the other person will think you are a freak.
“That is all I have to say about that.” (Forrest Gump)

This Monday is a big day. I will be finding out what my job is and where I will be living for the next couple of years. I will get an update as soon as possible.

~~ Mark

[Email to a Friend:]