mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Friday, September 26, 2003

An Update...

My Visit to Samokov:
Samokov has over 20,000 people which means it has shops, café’s, etc… Since it is so close to Sofia, I am within an hour from almost anything. The main attraction of my town is that it is less than ten minutes from the Bulgarian equivalent of Vail. The ski resort of Borovets is fairly well known and over the winter has tourists from the UK and Germany. This high amount of tourism is supported by a beautiful ski town. Five minutes in almost any direction from my front door, and you are surrounded by breathtaking mountain views. As for my apartment, it is huge. Currently, it has six beds. Also, it is the top floor of a house. This means that I am not in one of the communist built bloc apartments. I have a balcony that looks over the Rila’s. All in all, not a bad gig for two years. From what I understand, I will have three jobs. One will be to help get international funding for the local government, two will be to work with local businesses to develop local tourism in Samokov, and lastly to increase international tourism in Borovets. To be honest, it seems like I can work on whatever I want. This coupled with a Peace Corps mandated four day work week (yeah, that’s right) will make things interesting.

Sorry that I have not been updating the website as frequently, but they have really turned up the pressure in the language classes. Currently, we are learning about Bulgarian Verbs in the Perfective Future Tense. Fun stuff. Oh well.

~~Mark

[Email to a Friend:]