mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Monday, October 04, 2004

Dolphins for Orphans…


It’s 04.30.I have just walked off a night train sleeper cabin – I am still tired. Luckily, there is a cab waiting outside the station and I didn’t have to haul my week’s worth of vulture tagging/wedding wear through the streets of Shoumen.
It’s 08.05. I am late, but within the 20 minute lateness window that Bulgarians seem to deem ok. We are waiting for the kids to finish eating and get their jackets – we are going to see Dolphins.

It’s 08.30. The general stillness and calm of the home’s lobby is broken by nine little singing voices and eighteen little stomping feet. They are excited.

By 09.30 we are in Varna [the city with the dolphin show]. Outside the Dolphinarium we wait for the staff to pick up the tickets, and then we are off.



Up the stairs and into the hall we go.

The show was half an hour of ball tosses, fish catching, and flipper flapping.




The show was typical, but considering it would be have been exciting even for an over-stimulated American four year old; you can be sure that these kids who are usually regulated to the Orphanage home complex were wowed.


After the show, we had lunchtime in a park. I spent most of lunch thinking of little trips I had taken in my youth. Plays, museums, parks, etc… I can’t really put my finger on why those things were educational – why they were worth all the trouble. I can’t pin down any specific reason – except the general exposure to new things. And, I guess if I were forced to say why this little day trip was a success, I would not talk about their exposure to animals or creating awe for Mother Nature. No, I would point to the fact that most of them had never been on a highway or seen farmland. They got a little taste of the world outside the home and hopefully it will help them out someday. True or not, I don't know; but, you have to try something.

Ok, back to the itinerary.

From lunch, we headed to the Zoo. Like any group of four year olds, they loved it.



Lastly, we went to the aquarium. You would not confuse this with the Shedd, but it was nice. And, to hear the kids little songs about ‘the fishes’ made it worth it.

By this time, the little guys were tuckered out. Some crying, but surprisingly minimal. They just started to quiet down and got still. One kid just decided it was time to nap - on the sidewalk. It was time to go home.



This trip happened because of a very generous American who had adopted a child from this home and wanted to do something for the other children. The next day a second group of nine children went of the same trips. Thanks!

[Email to a Friend:]