mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Monday, May 31, 2004

Moving, Milan, American Football and Vidin...

First things first, I am now in Shoumen. It has been a couple of days and all is well. Not really much to report, but the coworkers (yes, I have some) are great and I will have some time to explore the city this weekend.



Next up, Milan. I was there on a 10 hour lay over and decided to make the most of it. Those hours consisted of stuffing myself with pasta and gelato (umm…gelato). I wandered the old churches, gardens, and fort. After a bit of time, I realized I had to find a place to sleep. Being that I am on a ‘Peace Corps’ budget, I found a comfy bench and crashed. Not sure if that was a brilliant move, but all is well that ends well. There are some pictures attached.




Thirdly, football. This past weekend we had the Marines v. Peace Corps v. Embassy Staff football – American version – tournament. This was probably one of my top ten days in Bulgaria. It was hot, we were out of shape, and my team won the whole thing. Just a bunch of Americans outside and playing. I know that if I were home I would not be doing this all the time, but not being able to do it at all is no fun. Good, clean fun.


And lastly…Vidin. After the game, we hopped straight onto a bus. Four hours of leg cramps later, we were in Vidin. This town is on the Danube and you can see Romania from the restaurant boats docked there. The main attractions are an old fort called ‘Baba Vida’ and the ruins of an old synagogue.



As my body attempted to recover from the sudden flash of activity we wandered around and snapped some pictures.
Enjoy the holiday weekend,
Mark

[Email to a Friend:]