mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Istanbul - not Constantinople



[Blue Mosque]

Well, once again I find myself apologizing for not keeping the site as up to date as I would like. Here is a completely inadequate summary of what I have been up to.

Istanbul:

Had five days in Istanbul with my oldest brother. It was amazing. The city has such a long history, it is hard not to get swept up. I would put Istanbul head to head with Prague any day [no small statement].




[Left: The Sultan's Palace -- Right: Tile Work in the Palace]

[Left: The Grand bazaar -- Right: Greek Tablet, Archeological museum]

[My brother's pictures here (link).]

Work:


A week after Istanbul, I got sicker than I have ever been since I arrived – I think it was due to some undercooked lamb from a village. But, once I survived, it was back to work.
We have been busy getting projects finished and reports filled out - saving the world one Excel spreadsheet at a time...
The good news is that the projects have mostly gone off without a hitch and I really do feel like I will leave here having done some good.

Anyways, I hope all is well with everyone and hope to hear from you soon,

Mark

[Email to a Friend:]