mark jackson. serving time in bulgaria. letting you know about it.
"Not all those who wander are lost." [J.R. Tolkien]

Saturday, August 09, 2003

Week One...

Dztra 've te...(Hello)

Well, I am sorry that I have not been able to update anything since I left the states, but it is because the site we did our initial training was a bit remote. No internet and a one and a half minute phone call home cost about a day's wage. We are talking about horses, cows, sheep, chickens, dogs, kids, roma and more walking around the streets.

Here we go...
The flight to Sofia (the capital) was not a problem, I was able to sleep most of the time and all my bags arrived unscathed. Once we cleared customs (which consisted of walking through a few doors, no questions were asked) we were met by a bunch of screaming PCV's (Peace Corps Volunteers). They gave us flowers, fruit, and water. Then we were shoved on to a bus and sent to Strelcha.

Once in Strelcha, we were given the night to sleep/regain composure. That was nice, but did not last long. We were flooded with information ranging from who to call if we want to quit to what to do if you are being attacked by fleas and bed bugs. (lovely) We were given manual after manual and told to read them all. In between, we were given lessons in Bulgarian. This lasted for four days. The positive was that we were able to bond as a training class and get used to the food/customs in a bit of a vacuum. From there, we left for our training site and host family.

Here is the break down of my host family:
Mother -- Mariya
Father -- Nickoli
Brother -- Constantine 29
Sister -- Iliana 28
Dog -- Ben
Cat -- Lukas
Chickens -- about 15
Turkeys -- about 10

Iliana does not live with the family and is getting married at the end of the month. Nickoli is a big guy who loves to eat and drink. His specialty is homemade Rakiya. This a clear Brandy made from Mariya's plums. He has promised to show me how to make it. Good times. Mariya is a great cook and has a huge garden. Every meal we have fresh vegetables and fruit. Mariya is a true mother type and always wants to know where I am going and if I am hungry. Coszo (Constantine) is huge and is a bouncer at a club. At home he is great, but I would not want to see him at work. Yesterday we went for a beautiful hike along the mountains with Ben.

The town I am in is called Belovo. It is a factory town of about 5,000 and to be honest is not pretty. But, it is nestled in between three mountain ranges (you can see all three from our balcony). It is around two hours from Sofia, which is very modern. And about 50 min. from Plovdiv, another big city.

The daily routine is long. We have 4-5 hours of Bulgarian starting at 8.30 or 9.00. Then, we have assignments due once a week that are going to take awhile (including, meeting local businesses, the police, mayor, etc...) If we are not in class, we are studying at a cafe, or at our host family's house (more Bulgarian). The good news is that a dobrovolka ot Korpus Namira (PCV) that has been in country about four months dropped by to show us around. She went through the same program and was able to hold full conversations with my family. So, as hard as it is it will pay off. And, this is the only time studying is making my life easier. I am excited.

Again, I am sorry about the delay. Things are not exactly reliable around here (i.e. if it rains the phones and internet go out for awhile). Also, I will get some pictures up as quickly as possible. We are having some technical difficulties.

I hope this has not been boring, but at the same time I will do my best to keep everyone informed.

~~Mark

[Email to a Friend:]